Everyone is looking for shortcuts to productivity and efficiency. There are two things you can do TODAY to increase your focus and productivity without disrupting your business.
Listen to the Right Music During Work.
If you are a solopreneur, or if you are in an office with other people, try one of these services for music that is proven to impact the brain’s ability to focus better, and retain more information for a longer period of time:
Focus@Will is designed around research. Here are some of the stats from their website:
- “50% of us play background music while studying or working. But, it’s the wrong music! Mainstream music lowers comprehension and creates distraction because it is designed to connect with you intellectually and emotionally.”
- “Focus@will technology delivers various “Attention Amplifying” music channels scientifically designed to engage with your brain’s limbic system. This soothes the easily distracted fight or flight mechanism increasing attention span and general focus.”
- Focus@will was developed “in partnership with leading neuroscientists Dr. Evian Gordon (www.brainsource.com) and Dr. Stephen Sideroff (UCLA Professor of Psychology). Trials show typical 12-15% positive increase in focus biomarker and up to 400% extended session time.”
Spotify also has an amazing Focus Genre. In fact, right now I am listening to “Deep Focus,” which has almost 1.1 million followers.
I can personally vouch for the effectiveness of both services. The results have been remarkable!
Infusing the Right Scents in Your Work Environment.
Smell is the strongest of our five senses, and is the strongest influencer on brain activity. Olfactory bulbs are part of the limbic system (the same limbic system affected by music) and directly connect to the areas of the brain that process learning.
Here are the most effective scents to strengthen focus and productivity:
1. Cinnamon: This spice creates a sense of alertness, and is effective at fighting mental fatigue, which can help to improve focus. (My favorite candle in my home office is Cinnamon Bun.)
2. Mint: This scent is known for boosting attentiveness, which makes it great for group brainstorm situations.
3. Lemon: Lemon is an incredibly strong smell, which jolts the mind into action when detected.
4. Orange:Similar to lemon, this scent is bold and fresh. It’s often combined with cinnamon in many candles and essential oils, which is a nice alternative if plain orange is too overwhelming.
5. Rosemary: This is the perfect Monday morning pick-me-up. In addition to improving memory retention, rosemary has stimulating properties that fight physical exhaustion, headaches and mental fatigue. Rosemary can also be used topically to relieve muscular aches and pains.
When you find yourself struggling to push through your desk work, fire up the candles and crank the music to help pull you through. The hours will fly by, and the day will be over before you know it!
Sign up to receive Successful Culture’s leadership blog every Friday. All posts contain actionable content to make you the best leader you can be, to help you develop your people to their greatest potential, and to help you build your best organization.
About Successful Culture
We work with business owners, CEOs, and leadership teams that want to achieve their greatest personal & organizational potential. Through coaching, strategic consulting, retreat facilitation, and workshops, we equip leaders & emerging leaders with the mindset, tools, strategies, and processes they need to excel.
Ready to move forward? Email us today at [email protected].
CEO, Successful Culture
“Taking Leaders from Triage to Transformation.”